Saturday, April 6, 2013

Community Service time - A tryst with Joy.

Alarm Clock going insane at 8 :30 am on Saturday morning is more annoying than your boss telling you to do an overtime. I snoozed the alarm for six times and finally got out of bed at 9:00 am to get ready for a cause, I genuinely feel for. There was a community service opportunity in Camillus HouseMiami. I was to reach there by 11:00 am.



As I reached there, I was ecstatic to see the faces of all the volunteers. Every one had this big smile and were dressed in a blues 'FUN CARNIVAL' T-Shirts. I went inside, changed my T-Shirt, filled the waver and was all set to help. The opportunity was to serve the needy from  the community with food and refreshments. The Camillus House staff provided the latex gloves and a plastic apron to all volunteers. I brought my own cap to avoid the Hairnet. Hairnet is important to wear to serve but i just hate the look of it. Well, after putting on all that was provided, Everyone was instructed responsibilities to serve. I was all set to welcome the 'guests' for the day with a delightful and beaming face.  As the clock struck 12:00 pm, the dinning area was deluged with people looking for space to settle down. The area was large enough to accommodate the number that came in and were systematically seated. The serving began and the feeling was amazing to look at their faces when they received the food. They were nice enough to thank us every time we served. The best moment was when, some asked to tell the options for the sweets. I showed them the tray full of different sweets and they chose as they wished. One of them, even asked me if you have 'Leche Tres' , a Spanish name for three milk layered cake. I found out with the cooking team and we did, so i served him. They were cracking jokes and enjoying the moment, and so were we while serving.

The serving ended, we clicked pictures and shared some light moments with the other volunteers and left the place with a great experience and joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment